Friday, January 2, 2009

The Wizard of Oz


In April the process began. With much fear and trepidation and feeling like I was going to throw-up, I auditioned for the role of Dorthy. Sadly I did not make it, but got into the chorus!!! I was a little disappointed because at first it didn't seem like I was really important. But as the rehearsals started off in August I could see that truly there were no small parts just small actors. :-)
First the practices were just once a week and then it was twice a week. Soon it got to be everyday some weeks. It was exhausting, but I loved it all the same. My least favorite practice was the three 6 hour days that were dedicated to choreographing all of the set changes. When we first changed from one scene to another it took about 20 minutes. By the closing show we got them down to like 45 seconds or less. My mom said that it was really amazing to see how no one got run over by an of the big sets. But I guess that none of it changed for any of us in the cast we just got used to it.

I was an Ozian, a person of Oz, an understudy for a tree, and a ghost for the last 10 or so shows. It was awesome and I wouldn't change it for anything. Now next year is Beauty and the Beast, and I can't wait!! Now my mom on the other hand is not so excited, because of all the driving. And I don't really blame her. We live 30 min away from the theater and when the practices ended at like 9:30 and we didn't get out from the shows until like 10:45. It was a long week and weekend. But sooooooo much FUN!

No comments: